Saturday 17 April 2010

Raising children, raising adults


To raise means many things. It means to collect, to cultivate, to voice, to stir, to activate, to gather together. Often times when we speak of parenting, we might use the verb, to raise, as in, we raise our children. I would like to challenge this idea. Do our children, whether it be our own children, a niece, a nephew, or a grandchild, raise us? If you find some truth in this, how then do the children in your life raise you, the parent, the aunt, the adult?

The more I contemplate this idea, and the more I experience my own children and my nieces and nephews, I feel they have more of a hand in raising me. While I have had more life experience and I have acquired more knowledge, there does seem to be something interesting about how the children raise me. Their role in my life surprisingly turns upside down what I thought to be true.

Of course adults have a very formative role in helping children understand how the world works, the importance of holding healthy boundaries, and the deep need we all share for human connection. Parents remind children to stay close, to stay connected. It is the role of the parent to keep that connection open and honest and full of compassion. This is what parents and adults offer to children, I hope, or at least intend to give and to share with growing young ones.

And yet, I keep coming back to this idea that children offer me/us so much more. What they offer is unexpected. It is a gift found in a subtle word or a simple phrase, an expressed sorrow, a cry for justice, or a need to really see and explore the world. If what we offer them is unconditional love and safety, the cultivation of basic needs and a language of love (or at least try to offer this to them), they surprisingly offer something to us that reaches beyond the basic needs and into self-actualization and empowerment.

Living with children raises me, stirs me, activates my spirit. My children cultivate me, so when I find myself saying "I am raising my children," I pause and consider the real raising that is going on.

Join me in this interesting exploration over the next few weeks as I reflect on how children raise parents/adults. I look forward to hearing how you respond to this idea and whether or not you experience children in the similar ways.

3 comments:

  1. You are so blessed to be so awake while raising young children. I was not... But my children, now adults, are still my children. And I can say that indeed they are two of my greatest teachers. They call me from time to time for help and I offer my best but now I see how they are helping me. I've come so far in finding peace and just one call from one of them with pain in their voice can rock me off center in an instant. The mother, protector kicks in and fear knocks at my door... oh yes...I'm learning, still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Yes! It is as if there was the pre-mother me and now a post-mom me that looks, sounds and feels differently and is ever changing as my children teach me. I am so glad you have come out of your break. I love your blog and how you extract and examine the meaning and wonder of everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this timely post. Lately, I have been having more expectations of Naya, and I find that my frustration is really about control. She is not a robot that should follow my commands. She is a creative, lively, magical being who teaches me so much about letting go when I am not stifling her natural instincts with my rules.

    ReplyDelete