Monday 1 February 2010

The birth narrative--what can we learn from it?

Six weeks after my first son was born, I went to see an expat massage therapist in Cairo. I know my body needed some care and healing. When I arrived, she gave me a questionnaire to fill out. I had answered these type of questions before when in the States, but there was one question that surprised me. What is the story of your birth?

No one had ever asked me to recount the story of my birth. I could tell her the story of my son's birth, but that it not what she wanted to hear. She wanted to know what my body remembered.

I had never thought of my body as having a memory until then. I preceded to tell her that I think I was stuck in birth. I know my collarbone broke on the way out. I was a big baby. That is all I knew. I was sad I did not know more about my body's physical and emotional histories.

I went home that day and started to write the story of his birth so he would know something of what his body might remember. Maybe years from now someone might ask him. I want him to know.

In writing that narrative, it was clear to me that the story of my body was intricately linked to the story of his body in that moment. The magic of birth stems from all the work the body does to do what it naturally wants to do: to birth.

And then in writing that narrative, I realized that wrapped up in the story of his birth was the story of my emotions. This is crucial. If the body holds a memory like the massage therapist suggested, then certainly emotions hold a history. I could tell him two narratives of his birth. Hour by hour, I can chart what happened physically. I can tell him what the birth was like for me. I can share what I think it might have been like for him.

Then I might tell him the story of my emotions. I might use these words to give voice to this story: anxious and yet calm, scared and yet powerful, rhythmic like the ocean, afraid to let go. Afraid to let go.

I remember my midwife, who was a friend, said to me, "why are you holding back?" At the time, I didn't think much about it, but while I wanted to birth this baby, I was also scared of my loss of control. I want to be able to write the story, all stories, beginning from end. I want to know how everything will end. I want to plan and write my way to it. It was the same for his birth, but I knew that in the moments of his birth, I was loosing control. Tight lipped and holding on for as long as I could, I finally allowed my body to do what it needed to do. I finally let go, with a bit of kicking and screaming. I simply did not want to let go and thankfully, my body won.

If a body holds on to an experience like birth, and if a body holds on to all the emotions of that experience, then certainly my current relationship with my son, even ten years later, holds some of that experience, holds some of those themes, and holds some of that fear of letting go.

Letting go in birth is probably one of the most common ways women might begin to articulate what birth is and can be like. And with one's first born, I think there is a common tendency to hold on too tightly. Every stage we go through with our first born child is always new. We don't know what to expect or how it will end, but I now realize this: every birth has its own narrative or its own theme and somehow the way we tell the birth story reveals something about the way we might relate to that individual child. For instance, the phrase I might use for my first birth might be "Letting go." My second birth, "I caught you." My third birth, "Wow, my body really did that standing on my two feet." Each narrative can have the power to shape my relationship with my children. I might have not had power to coerce my body or my emotions during birth (I would never dream of doing that now), but I do have the power to heal old patterns.

Letting go more fully. Letting go of the whatever I hope the outcome might be. Letting go of even thinking that I need to focus on the outcome of any situation, yes, that is where I want to be. Letting go and allow my son to be who he is becoming. I have very little control over knowing or shaping the end of his story or mine for that matter, but in the act of letting go, I can focus on what really matters--filling our relationship with lots of love, understanding, and listening ears.

Birth is that powerful because it still teaches me so much.

12 comments:

  1. this post has me thinking. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intresting perspectives here, thanks for sharing them. This relationship link you have provided with your experience opened up areas I hadn't connected before.

    Ditto here..this got me to thinking also..of my birthing actions and the effects that which will bear on our relationship.

    Additionally, it felt to me like the labor/birthing experience also perhaps takes us to levels from an ancestral tie that perhaps surfaces at the exact moment.

    I went hiding here...hiding to a ~deep~ mediatative moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think this idea of our births impacting us is also very powerful and true, and that we store things in our bodies...at the same time, sometimes I think this can get emphasized too much, and some women actually punish or blame themselves for not having the 'perfect' birth. Which would be what anyway? So I resonate the most with your final note, on letting go...I think that is basically what parenting is, on so many levels, letting go over and over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your insights are amazing. I didn't have any trouble letting go of Naya, but I had a heck of a time letting go of my singular life. Four years out, and I still have a hard time letting go of me. It has a lot to do with fear, and as I work with fear, I let go a little of me each day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carla, Yes, I think birth does link us to our ancestral ties in some mystical way. It is one of those power places in life where the veil between the past and future, spiritual and physical, heaven and earth is so very thin. Because of this thinness, I feel birth is a place of great vulnerability and yet get empowerment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I like to think of the body as living scrapbook. Our cells hold physical memories, emotional memories right in their structure. Sometimes it is healing to let go of a held memory sometimes it is healthy to keep that memory close. Do you know what I mean? So release is important, release of clinging to what is painful or no longer useful...and yet there is a gift in knowing that pieces of our life are not gone, but living with us each step of the way. I don't know if this makes sense. I'm sick today, but I wanted to comment anyway.

    I went through half the training for Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy a few years back and this is much of what that work is about. The memories of our lives we hold within our very cells...there is a choosing that goes on in what to keep, what to let go of.

    I love this idea of writing down the birth stories for our children, for ourselves. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa,
    It makes my heart hurt when women punish or blame themselves for not having a 'perfect' birth. There is really is no such thing. I am so sad when I hear women speak of what they perceive as an inadequecy. Birth is hard and painful. All births are natural. No matter what. And even the stories we tell about our births hold the pain with the joy. What I really hope for women is to come to a sense of peace/healing from writing and sharing their birth stories. Hoping that one can move toward wholeness and redeem what is worth redeeming while letting go of what needs letting go. I think all the spiritual and physical births we experience are all about the wholeness journey--and they each carry the deep darkness with the blinding joy. Peace, Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mermaid, This idea 'of letting go of myself' is really interesting. Wondering if that is what I am really trying to say here in my post. I am learning to let go of my son, but am I really willing to let go of myself? What would that look like, to let go of myself? Perhaps this is where the healing is for me. Thank you, thank you. Peace, Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura, It does make sense. I think this is what I am trying to articulate here. We do hold memories in our cells, our bodies remember even when perhaps we don't. Part of that healing process for me is seeing that I do have a choice as to what to let go of and what to hang on to. Thanks. Peace, Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicki, I just found you through Lisa at Mommy Mystic, and I am deeply moved by this post. I still have a lot of letting go to do, as just reading the post and especially your comment back to Lisa brings tears to my eyes for reasons I still cannot articulate, 3 1/2 years after my son's birth. I have written and rewritten the story, shared and processed, but still, something still eludes me.

    I am pondering your point about how these birthing emotions forever imprint our relationship with our children, and so it seems even more important for me to unearth this missing piece, so I can further understand the current dynamics with my son.

    Each time new tears are shed, I believe there's a little bit of healing, even if I don't understand what it is. Thank you for that.

    Cheers!
    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alexis,
    I am always amazed at how many layers there are to our life's story. Just when I get through a layer, and I have come to a place of healing, another layer surfaces. More healing, more tears, more pain, more understanding, and then a joy. It is so refreshing to hear how open you are to staying honest to your story. I wish you a healing peace. Thanks for pausing here. Peace, Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Nicki! Sending you a virtual hug. :) What a nice connection to have made here!
    Cheers!
    Alexis

    ReplyDelete