Tuesday 26 January 2010

Into the kiln and the full moon


I am currently reading Michelle Paver's Spirit Walker in which Torak, the main character, describes the fire as an old friend that is always there. The setting is some ancient time when sitting around the fire served a real purpose: to cook, to warm, to gather as a clan.

I am sorry that today we don't have the daily ritual of meeting at the fire. Imagine it being a gathering place. Imagine it being as an old friend, always there. Imagine carrying a bit of fire with you wherever you journey like Torak on his quests. A fire carrier. Flame holder. A pilgrim.

There is something magical about fire. Each full moon I try to gather at a fire. Sometimes it is only the flame of a candle. Other times, I gather with friends outside for a fire circle to share what is alive in each of us: our dreams, our thoughts, our hopes, our pain. There is something about journeying to the fire, sitting near it, under the full moon, that connects us through time to the ancient rituals of our ancestors. Fire is ancient. Circles are soul food.

A few weeks ago I was learning about the kiln in my pottery class. How it works. How one has to watch the flame and heat carefully. It is a twelve hour process. The kiln is one big fire that needs constant attention.

When I glazed my plates, carefully choosing the color of the sea, I took it for granted that they would be the color I want them to be. I did not think much about the process just my creative product. I hope for blue and it will be blue, I thought. However, my instructor informed me that sometimes they come out differently from what you expect. The flame and the temperatures can't always be controlled. Fire is ancient and powerful. Fire is transforming.

I find some comfort in knowing that sometimes what I put in the flame (my glazed plate) or what I take to the flame (under the full moon) will not always turn out to be what I expect. Letting go of outcomes, hopes, ideals, this is the action of the flame. Living with the fire and what she offers is ancient. Her secret, still to be told, still to be revealed, is her magic, her hope, her message.

I love the full moon because it is the time of month when I get to live with the flame. I feel I am in an ancient time. I feel like Torak, sitting under a small shelter, protected from the drizzly rain, I offer something of myself to the flame, willingly, knowing that when I leave, I will probably not be what I expect to be. I live now, in this moment.

The circle of fire is open. I ask the fire to teach me her ways. I listen. I hope. I let go. I transform.

******

Full moon this Saturday in this part of the world (GMT).

See Michelle Paver's Chronicles of Ancient Darkness. The first one is called Wolf Brother. The best novel I have read in a long time.

5 comments:

  1. There is faith involved in every act of creation...every interaction with other parts of creation (humans, animals, nature)

    I think lately for me, because I don't get out of my house often, my computer has become the fire where I gather with friends in sacred community. Not the same, but there are similarities.

    Please stop by my blog today...there is a surprise waiting for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was beautiful, thank you...reminded me of another post i just read by a friend at http://onedropinthepacific.blogspot.com/2010/01/burning-rituals-to-cleanse-soul.html that you might really like...the cleansing power of fire also was really brought home to me recently after visiting a favorite spot in nature that had burned about 18 months ago...it was devestating at the time, but now the enriched soil is already fielding amazing flowers...
    gathering is so important in family life, it is true we have lost this...i try and make this a regular part of our lives also, with or without flame...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicki,
    I agree that the power of fire is inestimable. I love gathering around a fire with friends and family. Those are some of my fondest memories from childhood and from the days of raising my children. We still do it today with family on special occasions. May you continue to take joy and find transformation through the fire....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I've been taken away to an ancient evening of earth maidens whispering, singing, dancing and sharing deep secrets of the soul.

    I will bring my deepest intentions to the fire and walk away, knowing it may not be as I expect it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, I have been thinking about how my time blogging is similar to that time in front of the full moon fire. My friends and I do not come for a conversation but to offer things up to the fire, or to offer things up to the universe. A space to be heard and a space to offer something to the world, to the fire, to each other. I find blogging as a place to make those connections as well. Had not thought of it that way until your comment here. I have been surprised how there is so much offering, so much hearing each other in the blog world, or shall we call it, the blog fire! It really amazes me how powerful it can be.

    Jan, thanks for stopping here. I am so glad to have found you. I really am grateful for your meditation challenge. It really has caused quite a good stir in my Spirit.

    Lisa, thank you for sending me to A Drop in the Ocean. I found her post to be thought-provoking and interesting. I am amazed at how fast synchronicity flows in the blog world.

    Mermaid, Oh, yes, earth maidens, that is what we are, right? I love it. Just the kind of image/scene/story I picture and hope I continue to enter.

    Peace, Nicki

    ReplyDelete